We *really* need a development model change !

David Elliott dfe at tgwbd.org
Sun Dec 30 15:25:01 CST 2001

On 2001.12.30 15:34 Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> 2. The scripts are independent from the compilation environment, which
>   allows testing binary compatibility. In C you have to compile the
>   tests under Wine using the Wine headers, which means you can't spot
>   wrong definitions in the headers since the test will see the same
>   definition as Wine itself. The only way around is to build tests
>   under Windows and run them under Wine but this is a major pain.
>   With a script you are guaranteed to run the exact same thing in both
>   environments.

Well, if it helps any, I have recently built a linux-cross-mingw32
toolchain as RPMs.

For those not running on an RPM distro the specfiles should be easy enough
to understand and do manually.

For those who are running RH7.2 (and probably 7.1 as well) you can have
the binary packages.  And for all other RPM distros the source RPMs should
build without problems.

I have the following RPMs built:

i386-mingw32-binutils-2.11.2-0_biscuit_0
i386-mingw32-gcc-bootstrap-3.0.3-0_biscuit_0 (built from the same specfile
as the normal gcc but only makes a C compiler good enough to build w32api
and mingw-runtime properly).
i386-mingw32-w32api-1.2-0_biscuit_0
i386-mingw32-mingw-runtime-1.2-0_biscuit_0
All the rest are part of the gcc build:
i386-mingw32-gcc-3.0.3-0_biscuit_0
i386-mingw32-gcc-c++-3.0.3-0_biscuit_0
i386-mingw32-libstdc++-devel-3.0.3-0_biscuit_0
i386-mingw32-gcc-g77-3.0.3-0_biscuit_0
i386-mingw32-gcc-java-3.0.3-0_biscuit_0 (unfortunately it didn't compile
the java runtime, so this one is useless until I figure that out)

If anyone is interested in this I can probably put it in
kernelrpm.sourceforge.net temporarily before I contact the MinGW team and
see if they would be interested in hosting these files on their
sourceforge site.

Please note that this is not just a simple compile.  I had to do quite a
bit of patching (well, figuring out what to patch was the issue, the
patches are tiny) to get it to build and work properly even including
thread support.

I also have compiled wxMSW with this compiler and successfully built and
tested the minimal, mdi, and taskbar test programs.

Of note is that the MDI program does not show any icons in the toolbar
when run under Wine, but works perfectly under Windows (95osr2 in
Win4Lin).  Is anyone aware of this, might be related to IE5.5 displaying
black squares instead of icons in its toolbar, and would be significantly
easier to debug as I built all of this with debugging info (assuming
winedbg can read it), plus you'd have the full sourcecode from
wxwindows.org.

-Dave