We *really* need a development model change !

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Mon Dec 31 11:45:53 CST 2001

Andriy Palamarchuk <apa3a at yahoo.com> writes:

> It seems the problem is not so big. It will be sufficient to run the
> binary, compiled under Windows not more often than once a month.

But it won't compile. Once we have a simple environment in Wine where
you run make test and everything happens automatically, people will
use that. They won't bother to update all the makefiles etc. that you
need in order to build on Windows. Then every time someone tries to
build the tests under Windows they will have to fix a ton of problems
before it works.

We simply cannot expect people to constantly dual-boot to run their
tests in both environments, so we need a way to make sure that when
code works on one platform it also works on the other without extra
work. We could certainly build a Windows infrastructure that does
everything automatically for C tests, but this is a massive amount of
work.

> BTW, tests in Perl address only execution of applications, not compilation.

Compilation is not an interesting case. 99% of it is tested by
compiling Wine itself, and the remaining occasional problem is trivial
to locate and fix. There's simply no need for regression testing of
the compilation environment.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com