psdrv: map Courier New to Courier

Ian Pilcher pilcher at concentric.net
Thu Feb 1 11:19:31 CST 2001

Huw D M Davies wrote:

> Great!  Well the Windows 2000 PS driver stores the font sub table
> under the value name "TTFontSubTable" in the printer driver's
> PrinterDriverData registry key.  To do this we need to implement
> Get/SetPrinterData (if you give me a couple of days I'll do it).  The
> data associated with TTFontSubTable is just a set of 2n \0
> terminated strings the final one terminated by 2 \0
> (i.e. REG_MULTISZ).  The actual configuring should go on in the
> printer setup property sheet.  Hmmm, fancy learning a little of the
> Win32 api?

I think I can probably handle reading the registry.  (Although from
what little I've seen of the Win32 API, even that could be a night-
mare.)

I think we should also allow the Wine config file to override what's
in the registry.

> hdavies at codeweavers.com should work.  Could you also send me the
> output of --debugmsg +psdrv.  Note if you're using ghostscript to
> process the output then the fonts will look about 15% larger, that's
> because GS's fonts are rather bigger than Adobe's and you're probably
> using Adobe's AFMs.  Other than that then I'm seeing Wine's Courier to
> be about another 15% larger than the output from Windows.

I think I may have overstated how large Courier is printing, at least
in relation to other Type 1 fonts.  I had forgotten that the TrueType
fonts I have converted to Type 1 tend to print somewhat smaller than
the Adobe/Ghostscript fonts.  (I do see the problem on both my Ghost-
script-driven printer at home and the PostScript printers at work.)
Since people seem to use Arial and Courier a lot, the problem is
emphasized; content that uses monospaced fonts also tends to suffer more
when it is unexpectedly wrapped.

So I think its mixing the two that makes things look really odd.  For
my particular situation, mapping everything to the "TrueType" fonts is
probably the way to go, so I'll be motivated to get the user-defined
mapping working.

Which leads me to another, more dangerous, thought.  It seems to me that
life would be simpler for everyone if we could bring some consistency to
the way that Wine's display and print subsystems work with fonts.  What
about a section in the configuration file that related Windows, X, and
PostScript font names?

In the old style, I would have suggested something of the form:

    Windows Font = X LFD, PostScript font name

This would seem to be relatively straightforward to implement, and it
would bring a small measure of sanity to the area.  (I currently have
both 'MS Sans Serif' and 'Ms Sans Serif' fonts, because the X server and
the PostScript driver don't agree on what the font should be called!)

Ian Pilcher                                       pilcher at concentric.net