annoying EndDialog "feature"

gerard patel gerard.patel at asi.fr
Mon Feb 5 14:24:42 CST 2001

At 10:37 AM 5/2/01 -0600, you wrote:

>> I can't  see this WM_NULL with Winsight. Maybe it's a bug in
>> Winsight :-/, but are you sure it's not some framework that is
>> sending it ?
>Hmm, what are you talking about ?
>
>And I don't quite understand what you're investigating here... ;-)

*I* don't understand what it is supposed to fix. Using Winsight
was a rather brainless attempt to see what is happening under
Windows.

Now I think I see : this can only be useful if EndDialog is called from
another thread, right ? If yes, you really *should* mention this in the
remark before the code. No need to be mysterious IMHO.

Anyway, I tested your patch with a thread I launched before the
DialogBox call; after 15" of sleep the thread is calling EndDialog.
To add fun I added a WM_NULL handler in the dialog procedure
to display a  MessageBox; under Windows the MessageBox does not fire,
under Wine with your patch, it does (test app available)
So probably Windows does not do it this way (or the WM_NULL message is
filtered). It probably does not matter much, granted.

Gerard