winehq mailserver troubles

James A. Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Feb 18 14:04:48 CST 2001

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Ove Kaaven wrote:

> Looks like mail to winehq was refused since yesterday because 30 sendmail
> processes was hung trying to deliver mail to some guy at ameritech.net
> (timed out connections etc), and since this was a limit in sendmail, it
> refused further incoming connections, and the secondary mailserver at
> corel didn't want winehq mails, so all incoming mails have been bounced by
> it... you'll probably all need to resend any bounced mails, I think.
>
> But it seems the hanging sendmail processes are already building up again.
> Let's see... should I disable the culprit's subscription, or try to
> compile a newer sendmail (if available), or maybe install some other MTA
> software, like exim? Hmm...

Well, I'm obviously biased given exim's origins... however, upgrading
sounds like the best solution. You might be able to do something with
sendmail's configuration (switch to "deferred" delivery mode then run
sendmail -q frequently??), but upgrading sounds like a better bet.

FWIH, qmail is better than exim at outgoing mail. Don't tell the exim
authors I said that, though :-)

James.