Mixed mode CD's and volume label

Andreas Mohr a.mohr at mailto.de
Tue Jul 3 10:27:36 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 09:47:03AM -0500, David Hagood wrote:
> I was trying to get Half-Life running under Wine last night, and ran
> into a problem with getting the CD label under Wine. Since the HL CD is
> a mixed mode data/audio disk (as are most game disks nowadays) Wine
> complained with a
>
> We don't have a way of determining the label of a mixed mode CD - Linux
> doesn't allow raw access !
Well, actually this message is dead wrong.
Linux doesn't allow "normal" block device access,
but there are certainly ioctls for special CD-ROM sector formats available.
A lot of experimentation of mine didn't enable me to find out how the serial
of a mixed-mode CD gets calculated, though.
Reading the label of a mixed-mode CD is an entirely different matter,
of course.

Either you intend to hack on it a bit, or it'll definitely be on my ToDo
list for the next weeks to come.

> As an experiment, I disabled this check in misc/cdrom.c, and it worked
> quite happily.
Hmm, then this program didn't really have demanding requirements ;)

> Now, if I could just work out why the OpenGL is flashing...
Check out lhl.linuxgames.com
AFAIK that might be the frequently mentioned DRI bug.

--
Andreas Mohr