Documentation fixes

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Sun Jul 15 13:15:11 CDT 2001

> Patrik Stridvall <ps at leissner.se> writes:
>
> > What kludge? Ugly OK, that is your subjective opinion, but kludge?
> > Even if we only see it from a purely C language perspective,
> > it solves the problem of making sure that the C library functions
> > have the prototypes we expect them to have. There is no other
> > way to solve that problem that I can think of so it is certainly
> > not a kludge.
>
> Not only is it not a problem we need to solve, but it's more likely to
> actually cause new problems. I wouldn't be surprised at all if your
> patch broke compile on some platforms that have some slight
> differences in prototypes (like char* vs. const char*).

Well, believe it or not the thought actually occured to me before I
submitted the patch, so I actually tested it on Solaris, FreeBSD
and Linux, and the only thing I had to change was the include order
or stdarg.h to make it work on all platforms.

The thing is that if it actually breaks on some platform
it is a red light that something might be (and probably is) wrong.
We can always fix it with #ifdef:s and winapi_{check,extract,fixup}
or whatever can use the #ifdef to generate a correct entry
for that platform if need be.

Of course the more likely scenario will be that it serves as a reminder
that we really can't export the C library function directly because of
platform incompabillities and simply don't do it.

And no, I don't believe const/non-const is a problem. Beside
even if it turn out I'm wrong we can just add a "#define const /* nothing
*/"
at the top of each externs.c file. That, I admit, is a kludge but only
a very small and harmless one.

> > If you are not convinced now, you never will be.
>
> I think we agree on this one ;-)

Probably. I don't have much hope of convincing you
with the statement above either.