ChangeDisplaySettings

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Tue Jul 17 09:55:04 CDT 2001

> I have been browsing the source tree and was following the methods used by
> DirectDraw and was considering a similar approach.  While I was browsing the
> source, I was eventually lead to dlls/x11drv/xvidmode.c which contains most of
> the functions that I will probably need.  But I still have a few concerns:
> 1) Is the x11drv used for ddraw AND the gdi or just one?
> 2) what is the best way to query if the video exists? without knowing syncs?
> 3) and if i need to know syncs how do I find them?

My first question was : why implement it ? I would personnaly find VERY
annoying to have any Windows app. change the size of my desktop window when
I prefer running my applications 'windowed'.

Moreover, I would prefer you to handle first the 'Desktop' case :-) In that
case, no need to use any X extension, you just have to resize the desktop
window.

> Another question I have is about pixel depth.  From what I understand, it is
> imposible to change the pixel format of the screen while X is running.
> However, it is possible to start more than one X server with different configs
> (and depth) which we could use if we have to but probably not a good idea.  Of
> course another posibility is to emulate the pixel depth, but that would
> probably cause performance problems, especially when used by games.  Anyone
> have any suggestions or should we just leave changing depths as unimplemented?

Depth changing is part of the new X extension called 'RandR' (Rotate and
Resize). I do not know at all though when it will be available on 'normal' X
servers (as it was mostly developped now for the iPAQ handheld to rotate the
screen).

Keith Packard (the Render author (BTW how is the support of this extension
progressing :-) ? )) and Jim Gettys are the main developpers of this
extension.

So I would probably wait for this extension to be available before starting
any code on ChangeDisplaySettings... And please consider having it optional
:-)

      Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/