Announcement : SynCE project

Ludovic LANGE ludovic.lange at free.fr
Tue Jul 17 16:11:36 CDT 2001

Hello,

First of all sorry for the intrusion, but I think this may be of
interest for some of you.

SynCE project's ambitious goal is to provide a mean of synchronising
handhelds devices with a (desktop) computer.

By handheld, we mean any portable / embedded / PDA.... device, that
needs to synchronize its data with a less mobile computer.
(An exemple would be any PDA/PocketPC running Windows CE, or any PDA
running Linux, etc...)

The first step of this project is to provide a full (client & server)
implementation of Microsoft's RAPI protocol, which is the low-level
protocol used in ActiveSync synchronisation.
This will allow, when completed :
 - a Windows CE device to communicate with any (non-Microsoft) computer,
 - A Linux device to communicate with a Microsoft computer and benefits
from the existing tools,
 - etc, etc...

The second step will be to provide a set of tools to synchronize data
with 'standard' open or closed source application : Mozilla, KMail, etc....

Right now, the project is in its early, early stages ( we don't even
have an alpha release ! ), but yet there are some bits that allow an
implementation of the client part of the RAPI protocol, to query
informations (registry, filesystem, databases,...) from a WindowsCE device.
One tool (DBBackup) allows a full dump of the databases of the device.

I won't interfere more with the list, and I invite all people interested
to have a look on the project page (
http://www.sourceforge.net/projetcs/synce  &