Microsoft source code releases - a danger to Wine?

Ian Pilcher ian.pilcher at home.com
Sun Jul 22 03:29:50 CDT 2001

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:

> What can we do about that? Since none of the people involved is going to
> have a look at the actual M$ source, how are we supposed to know if a
> patch posted on the list is taken from them?

Well, asking is a good start.  I'm more concerned about a well meaning
person doing something without realizing the consequences that I am
about deliberate malfeasance.  So making people think is the first step.

> Worse yet: If we coincidentally use similar code to theirs, how can we
> prove we haven't looked at their code? If I were paranoid, I'd say the
> single purpose of releasing the source was to get wine in trouble.

It's not paranoia when they really are out to get you!

IANAL, but distribution has been limited enough to this point that they
would probably have to show some plausible manner in which the exposure
could have occured.  That's why I think wider distribution increases
the vigilance required.

> That won't do much good, because e-mailed statements/forms aren't legally
> binding. #include <fix-the-law.h>

Snail mail?