Make built-in font data read-only

Ian Pilcher ian.pilcher at home.com
Tue Jul 24 20:10:49 CDT 2001

Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> Ian Pilcher <ian.pilcher at home.com> writes:
>

> Unfortunately the data still isn't stored in read-only memory even
> though it is declared const, because the structures contain pointers
> that require relocation. Would it be possible to store offsets instead
> of pointers?

If all pointers have to be eliminated, I can't see any way to do it.
In order for the code to have any kind of sanity, built-in font metrics
and dynamically loaded font metrics have to use the same data model, and
I don't think it's even remotely practical to get rid of the pointers in
the case of the dynamically loaded metrics.

I'm open to suggestions, but I think that the effort involved in doing
this (assuming a sane way could be found) probably far outweighs the
benefit (less swap usage if the data is paged out; is there any other
benefit?).  Better to focus to eliminating unused data, which is
probably more than 50% of what's there right now.

Just in case I get inspired, though, what tool/command are you using to
determine read-only vs. read/write data sizes?  Can I just go by what
objdump says about .data and .rodata?