winapi update

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Jul 26 19:28:02 CDT 2001

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Patrik Stridvall wrote:
[...]
> PS. It filters the make messages and only display important messages.

   Ah, ok.

   I tried it.
   The first run gave me a number of errors:
$ ./tools/winapi/make_filter make
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at tools/winapi/make_parser.pm line 82, <IN> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at tools/winapi/make_parser.pm line 82, <IN> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at tools/winapi/make_parser.pm line 82, <IN> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at tools/winapi/make_parser.pm line 82, <IN> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at tools/winapi/make_parser.pm line 82, <IN> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at tools/winapi/make_parser.pm line 82, <IN> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at tools/winapi/make_parser.pm line 82, <IN> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at tools/winapi/make_parser.pm line 82, <IN> line 1.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at tools/winapi/make_parser.pm line 30, <IN> line 1.
make_filter: : can't parse output: 'Make.rules.in is newer than Make.rules, please rerun ./configure!'

   Would it be possible to have the messages pass through as-is when
they are not recognized (with the current directory for context)?
   So I ran ./configure and tried again and it was much better. What
is a bit strange is that it did not leave a single message around. A
third run on a file that I know generates a warning gave me the
following:

$ ./tools/winapi/make_filter make
make_filter: gcc: can't parse output: 'd3ddevice/mesa.c:817: warning: unused variable `xvis''

   It looks like there's an incompatibility with colorgcc.
   Colorgcc is a perl script that you can wrap around gcc and g++ and
which colorizes the resulting output. So warnings appear in yellow,
errors in red, some other items in cyan, ... It works pretty well as
long as your xterm background is black like in the latest Debian. To use
colorgcc you simply add symlinks to colorgcc in your path:

$ ll /usr/local/bin/gcc /usr/local/bin/g++
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     staff          17 Apr 27 12:37 /usr/local/bin/g++ -> /usr/bin/colorgcc*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     staff          17 Apr 27 12:37 /usr/local/bin/gcc -> /usr/bin/colorgcc*

   So it must be the controls characters added by colorgcc that confuse
make_filter.

 Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't
                                 -- Eric Jong