-DSTRICT warning fixes

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Sat Jul 28 13:18:01 CDT 2001

Patrik Stridvall <ps at leissner.se> writes:

> Concerning some parts of my warnings patch that was
> partly rejected I disagree with the rejection.
> The patch in question is in warnings_rejected.diff.
> Note the field "u" is a union. But perhaps you know
> and rejected it for other reasons?

I know it is a union; I thought it was one of these cases that would
get fixed by -DSTRICT, but now I see that it is a slightly different
problem. I'll apply it.

> If you accept all the strict_*.diff patches, perhaps we
> should consider adding -DSTRICT as a permanent flag?
> It removes the HOOKPROC/TIMERPROC warnings that is not
> possible to fix otherwise.
>
> If we do that can just do
> s/DECLARE_OLD_HANDLE/DECLARE_HANDLE/
> on the handle types on by one and fix the warnings.

That's precisely the plan, and it is just the opposite of what you are
doing with your patch (you are turning DECLARE_HANDLE back into
DECLARE_OLD_HANDLE). Yes you get a number of warnings if you turn
-DSTRICT on, most of them should disappear once the conversion is
complete; fixing them before that is a waste of time. This is the
reason why -DSTRICT is not the default yet.  Read bug report #90,
Francois explains everything there.

And don't forget the number one rule of the -DSTRICT conversion is:
*no* *typecasts*. If you have to add typecasts something is wrong.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com