winapi update

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Mon Jul 30 15:03:50 CDT 2001

> Patrik Stridvall <ps at leissner.se> writes:
>
> > I have resent winapi_install patch.
> >
> > While it probably that you didn't apply
> > it because of lack of time I resend
> > for your convinience. If not please
> > explain.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you are not actually installing
> anything, only a script that needs the Wine source tree to work.

That is a correct conclusion.

> I don't really see the point.

The point is that when you are in some sub directory of a wine tree,
you can just write

winapi_check

or

make_filter

and whatever and it will call the correct version of the tool.
Instead of having to type, if you are in dlls/winsock.

../../tools/winapi_check

Sure you can currently do

make winapi_check

or

make filter

and adding winapi_{extract,fixup} is trivial but
giving arguments through make is a little awkward.

That why I wrote a few script to fix this and now
when I have a tool (make_filter) that could possibly
enjoy a wider use I decided to make a
formalized "install" for them.

> If you want to install something it should
> be a complete installation that works without external files (not that
> I suggest doing that for winapi_check, at least not by default).

A full install is largely meaningless since the winapi tools are made
for work on a Wine source tree, so making them independant of such
a tree is largely meaningless.

Well they actually are indendent of the specific tree they where
install from. They do not reference to it at all. They use the
current directory to find the real winapi tools in that tree.

They will work equally well with any tree (of a later date than
your hopefull application of the patch that is).

They are as they are by design, not by mistake,
and complete installation of them is almost completly
meaningless.

Sure there might be future winapi tools worthy of a complete
install, a future tool for automatical generation of .spec
files from any Winelib application, that we talked about
some time ago, comes to mind, but I'm not there quite yet.
I have begun to implement simple typedef parsing but it
doesn't work 100% yet.

In short, please apply it, they facillitates using the
winapi tools alot and might make more people actually
use them. They don't hurt anything.