uname(1) on UnixWare (Solaris)

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Wed Jun 6 04:23:53 CDT 2001

> On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 12:18:00AM -0700, Francois Gouget wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
> > > 1. Configure message is wrong:
> > >    checking whether we can build a Linux dll... yes
> > >    I see this even on FreeBSD and NetBSD. :( It's not a
> Linux dll,
> > >    but an FreeBSD/NetBSD dll.
> >
> >    Maybe this message should be changed, yes. But I don't think you
> > should put a `uname` there.
>
> Could you explain me a bit further why we shouldn't do that?

As far as the question above is concerned see
Francois's reply. I fully agree with him.

However regardless of this, uname shouldn't be used
(at least not directly). Autoconf provides a standard
way to do this (which BTW happends to use uname).
It can be used as below.

AC_CANONICAL_HOST

case $host_os in
  *cygwin* ) CYGWIN=yes;;
         * ) CYGWIN=no;;
esac

It requires two files config.sub and config.guess
be distribute along with Wine but that is not
really a problem. Perhaps we need to do this
anyway. Autoconf 2.50 has discontinued AC_CYGWIN
so CYGWIN support seems to require it regardless.
Actually the code above is how this is done
with Autoconf 2.50.

However making CYGWIN an exception is one thing,
doing it in other cases is quite another thing.

IMHO you will need to provide a _really_ convincing
argument that we should make another exception
assuming of course we make the first one for
CYGWIN which we haven't done yet either.