Win16 calls by Win32 functions

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Mon Jun 25 14:54:28 CDT 2001

Patrik Stridvall <ps at leissner.se> writes:

> Sure Win32 calls to Win16 should be eliminated that is
> without question. This is how Windows NT does it and
> Alexandre has a policy that Wine should doing like
> Windows NT does. I fully agree.
>
> However I'm not positive that replacing Win16 calls to
> Win16 with Win32 calls is always good idea. See below.

As a rule it is a good idea, but there are of course exceptions.
Basically the rule should be that wherever you can choose between a
Win16 or Win32 function to do something, you should pick the Win32
function. But in the cases where the Win16 and Win32 functions have
different semantics, then of course you have to use the correct one,
even if in some cases it means calling Win16 functions from Win32
(like for the GlobalAlloc stuff).

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com