RFC: client side implementation of async I/O

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Mon Mar 5 15:26:31 CST 2001

Michael McCormack <mccormac at aals27.alcatel.com.au> writes:

> This patch moves responsibility for asynchronous I/O to the client process.
> i'm posting it to wine-devel because i want to know what other developers here
> think about the technique i've used to make this work...

Your approach is not going to work with the latest changes I made to
the server. The good news is that the changes I'm making are in part
to allow making server calls in signal handlers, so when this works
you should be able to use SIGIO to do async IO.

> i think this implementation is more efficient, as it makes fewer server calls
> and duplicates fewer file descriptors, while maintaining correctness.

It's not clear to me that it is more efficient; it seems it will do a
lot more work on every single server call if an async IO is
pending. Of course the only way to tell is to run benchmarks.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com