The PEACE Project

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Mon Mar 12 08:41:51 CST 2001

> I don't know if you know about The PEACE Project:
>
> http://chiharu.haun.org/peace/

Now I do. :-)

> What is PEACE?
>
> PEACE is a set of programs to run Win32 apps on NetBSD/i386
> (and other ports
> in the future?) box.

I see.

> What is the difference from other Win32 emulators?
>
> Actually, PEACE is éWin32-compatible package' rather than
> éemulator' because
> different from Wine and WABI,

And Wine isn't a "Win32-compatible package"?

> PEACE does not have éemulator
> executable'.
> EXE files are directly executed from sh or csh.

The above is IMHO a rather clintonesque use of the words
emulator and executable. They hide the comparable code
in NetBSD's dynamic linker instead.

Not impressed, eventhough we could and probably
should do that in the future.

However if we hide the fact Wine is run, many user
will not realize that it really is Wine's fault
that their Win32 application crashes and say to
their friends that Linux is unstable which gives
Linux a bad reputation. We don't want that do we?

So we probably shouldn't make it transparent at
least not as long Wine still is alpha.

> PEACE consists of the following 3 components:
>
>  1.In-kernel *.EXE loader

Can't find the source but can't imagine it is very complicated.
Probably somthing similar to what David Howells did for Linux.

>  2.Dynamic linker for Windows *.DLLs

Hmm, 233 lines of code including comments.
Not very revolutionary.

>  3.Win32 API implementation (i.e. core DLLs)

This is supposed to do exact what Wine (Winelib)
does. However it currently only implements a very
small part of what Wine currently does as they admit...

> How many Win32 API functions are implemented?
>
> Currentry, most APIs are NOT implemented.

... here

In short this is just some Japanese guys trying
to reinvent the wheel.

I really can't understand why they don't cooperate
with us in the Wine project instead.