The PEACE Project

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Mon Mar 12 10:04:05 CST 2001

> > I really can't understand why they don't cooperate
> > with us in the Wine project instead.
>
> That's exactly what I thought several weeks ago when I first
> heard of it.
>
> Licensing issues might be the reason (I did not look at their
> license !).

They use the BSD license, unfortunately the one with the
advertisment clause. However I don't imagine it will
be a problem since there is very little if anything
that they have implemented that we haven't implemented
I long time ago already.

Additional problem is that they use C++. :-)

In short they have wasted a lot of effort for little or no gain.

> Other than that I'm tired of YAW (Yet Another Windows, which is
> the name of yet another windows package, coincidentally ;-)

Indeed. I can understand people that start working with a project
has a lot of ideas and the project leader rejects them and they
grow tired and decide to do it themselves.

However for a project like Wine most things really can't be done
that many ways since it must be compatible with Windows so
this shouldn't really be a very large problem.

In this case perhaps they, being Japanse, felt uncomfortable with
cooperating with english speaking people. I noticed that they
have a Japanese only mailing list.

Anyway we could always create a wine-devel-jp or whatever if
that was a problem.