Nasty Wine/kernel bug, anyone?

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Mar 20 12:14:02 CST 2001

I'm able to consistently reproduce a kernel bug
whilst running Wine (both 0305 and todays CVS)
and the version of Outlook Express that comes with Win98.

That is, if I use a pretty stock Wine config, and launch
msimn.exe, we get the splash screen, and then a process
stuck in 'D' (uninterruptible sleep).  At this point,
AFAIK, the only solution is to wait for the IO to timeout
(I haven't been patient enough to see if it does), or
to reboot.

Because the process is already gone, I can't strace or gdb it.

Anyone
    a)  Want to take this on?
    b)  Have advice on how I can generate enough debug info
        that we can feed it to the Kernel guys to get it fixed?

And yes, this happens both on a 2.2 system and a 2.4 system.

I saw at least other user report on this (Steve Fox reported this
with Lotus Notes).

My best guess is that this is a bug in the vfat driver,
but that's just a hunch.

Jer