Nasty Wine/kernel bug, anyone?

Ulrich Weigand weigand at immd1.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Mar 21 14:57:51 CST 2001

Hi Jeremy,

> That is, if I use a pretty stock Wine config, and launch
> msimn.exe, we get the splash screen, and then a process
> stuck in 'D' (uninterruptible sleep).  At this point,
> AFAIK, the only solution is to wait for the IO to timeout
> (I haven't been patient enough to see if it does), or
> to reboot.

Could you check in which kernel routine the process is blocked?
(e.g. using ps -Ao pid,wchan)

> Because the process is already gone, I can't strace or gdb it.

What do you mean 'the process is already gone'? Could it be that
ptrace doesn't work because the Wine server has already attached
to that client process?

> Anyone
>     a)  Want to take this on?
>     b)  Have advice on how I can generate enough debug info
>         that we can feed it to the Kernel guys to get it fixed?
>
> And yes, this happens both on a 2.2 system and a 2.4 system.

Hmm.  Could you try getting a Wine trace (especially the server/
client interaction)?

> I saw at least other user report on this (Steve Fox reported this
> with Lotus Notes).
>
> My best guess is that this is a bug in the vfat driver,
> but that's just a hunch.

Steve, is VFAT also involved in your case?

Bye,
Ulrich

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand