wine/ dlls/x11drv/x11drv_main.c documentation/ ...

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Sat Mar 24 13:29:26 CST 2001

Andreas Mohr <a.mohr at mailto.de> writes:

> IMHO --desktop is *very* important.
>
> This will inevitably lead to tons of very confused questions, just like
> with the sudden config file change.

Yep, and there will still be other changes that will break everything
and confuse users (think window management for instance); that the
reason we are not at 1.0 yet.

> And why don't you get rid of --managed then either ?

It will happen, don't worry...

> And how exactly does this break dll separation ?

Because with these command-line options kernel32 must know about and
export information specific to x11drv.

Also there's a larger issue of mechanism vs. policy; if we want to be
able to use the same set of Wine libraries for multiple usage (wine
loader, Winelib apps, mp3 players loading Windows dlls, etc.) we need
to move all policy decisions to the higher layers. We cannot have
kernel32 enforce a specific command-line usage, since this doesn't
apply in all cases.

For another instance of the same issue, see the discussion about the
deferred debug trace a couple of weeks ago: we need the Wine libraries
to provide the *mechanism* to display tracing and other informations,
but the *policy* of when and how to switch tracing on or off must be
moved to higher layers (like the debugger) instead of hardcoding a
magic key sequence in user32.

> Can't we solve this in another way ?
> (i.e. maybe keep cmdline options for Wine, but don't use them for Winelib
> apps)
> Getting rid of all command-line options is not really an option IMHO.
> They are just way too useful.

There are tons of settings that can only be set through the config
file; why are the few remaining options so much different that you
need to set them on the command line?  and how do you pass options
when an app is not launched from the command-line (like from another
Windows app, or from a desktop icon)?

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com