Networking with Mandrake 8.0 and SuSE 7.1

Steve Fox stevefx at us.ibm.com
Thu May 17 10:14:05 CDT 2001

Repost from wine.users since no reply. Thanks for any help.
-------------------------

I'm running Lotus Notes 5.04a under WINE with one of the January releases
and its been working great for months. However, any release since February
does not seem to do reliable networking on my Mandrake 8.0 system. I can
occassionally actually get into my inbox and even open up a message, but
I've never been able to read more than one.

Some cow-orkers using this same setup on Redhat 7.1 do not have this
problem, but others using SuSE 7.1 do too.

Does anyone have any ideas why only networking would be affected and only
on select distributions? It stumps me because all three mentioned distros
use  glibc-2.2 and gcc-2.96 (SuSE may use 2.95...not sure). On a related
note, another cow-orker who is using Mandrake Cooker (development distro)
and his own compiled kernel does not have this problem. I am on a token
ring network, which I don't think should matter.

--
Steve Fox
IBM Linux Technology Center