Finding (or not) the exact number of args

Andreas Mohr 520053692817-0001 at t-online.de
Wed May 23 12:19:26 CDT 2001

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 06:01:51PM +0000, Gaël de Chalendar wrote:
[...]

> Anyway, it uses at a moment or another unimplemented ordinal functions. To
> implement their stubs, I begins with a lot of args, reducing this number
> until the function is passed. It seems to work but I wonder if I do not add
> only problems with this strategy. If I left the stack in a corrupted state,
> maybe the problem will become visible a lot later...
> I was not able to find in docs, mails archives or google groups any useful
> tip to find (simply) the right number of args. Particularly, the URL
> http://www.ece.cmu.edu/afs/ece/usr/dacut/www/src is dead.
>
> So, do I continue ? If yes, in this way or differently ?
Differently.

You get a nice "crash" when the program hits an unimplemented function.
Do a backtrace, then do a disas of the code that led to the unimplemented
function. Count the number of pushes before that call. That's usually
the number of arguments you need to use.

Tel. +49 7159 800604                http://home.germany.net/100-30936/