queries on internals...

eric pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Tue Nov 6 12:29:06 CST 2001

Roger Fujii wrote:

> ok...  getting reasonable output, but now I have some
> questions.
>
> First, it seems like wine can't find the audio codecs,
> though it seems to find the video ones.  Is this a
> to-be-implemented or a bug and any clues on where to look?
which audio codecs ? you mean the ACM ones ?
there are loaded as any drivers, looking for their names in
system.ini drivers32 entries. to use the native acm codecs,
you need something like:

[drivers32]
MSACM.imaadpcm=imaadp32.acm
MSACM.msadpcm=msadp32.acm
MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm
msacm.msg711=msg711.acm
MSACM.trspch=tssoft32.acm
msacm.l3acm=l3codeca.acm
msacm.vivog723=vivog723.acm
msacm.voxacm119=vdk32119.acm
msacm.iac2=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IAC25_32.AX

(btw, video codecs are loaded the same way, so it's strange it
doesn't work. any trouble somewhere with the .acm extension  in
the loader somewhere ??)

> 1) For some unknown reason, the solaris version segfaults
> when it tries to load win87em.dll, but the linux one
> doesn't.  I presume that this is trying to load the fpu
> emulator, but I'm not certain.  In any case, what controls
> the loading of this in the first place?
well it depends how the program was first compiled. there are
options on windows to compile a program as:
- without fpu (force always emulation)
- only with fpu (no emulation)
- mixed strategy (if fpu present, then use it, otherwise fall
  back to emulation)
so, it sounds like the fpu traps are not correctly handled between
wine and solaris (hard to tell more here)

> 3) In win32/console.c, it seems that master/slave is reversed
> through the fork.  This is only going off the docs, but if
> it is, how is this working under linux?
don't worry about that. all this code should be removed real soon
(if Alexandre commits my patches ;-)

A+