SystemParametersInfo

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 13:58:52 CST 2001

--- Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.com> wrote:
> Andriy Palamarchuk <apa3a at yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Changed system parameters won't be reset back to X
> > settings?
>
> Not if they are changed permanently; if we want them
> to be reset then
> we simply should not set them and always query X.
>
> Basically there are many possibilities:
>
> 1) get and set in registry, ignore X
> 2) get and set in registry, if nothing in registry
> get default value
>    from X
> 3) always get from X, ignore registry, do nothing on
> set
> 4) always get from X, ignore registry, set X value
> on set (not
>    recommended)
>
> and there are even more combinations if you
> differentiate setting
> permanently/temporarily. There is no single right
> answer, it all
> depends on what the parameter does. IMO most cases
> should do 1), but
> there can be exceptions.

I was going to implement option:
N) On initialization get all settings from X. Allow
application to play with settings as it wants. Don't
change X settings.
This is like 2) when all the registry settings are
removed before system parameters initialization.

Lets go with 1) by default. I will look into each case
whether we need more integration.

> > One case which comes to mind when such integration
> > would be useful is system parameter which shows
> > whether mouse buttons are swapped. Left-handed
> person
> > can configure mouse after he ran Wine the first
> time,
> > or the settings can be changed temporarily. We
> need a
> > way to find out the system setting was changed and
> > don't rely on saved value.
>
> In this case I don't think we should query X at all,
> since if the
> buttons are swapped at the X level this is
> transparent for
> us. Otherwise the buttons will get swapped twice...

I agree with you that logical to phisical *button
mappings* are transparent in both - Windows and in X.
I'm not going to use separate Wine mouse buttons
mapping :-)
I was rather thinking about situation when application
needs to know whether it works with left-handed user.
For such user it can show message "Click with Left
Mouse Button" when it expects event from logical right
button. Is this a real situation?
What about assigning actions to mouse buttons in a
game?

On other hand left-handed users are probably
accustomed to such kind of confusions and will try
both buttons ;-)

This is probably not the best example where we need
integration.

Andriy