linking in .lib files

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Wed Nov 7 21:31:19 CST 2001

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Chris Dawson wrote:

> Hmm, well, the problem is that winemaker/wine are not doing this for me,
> AFAIK.
>
> 1.  When compiling the project, I get a whole bunch of "undefined reference
> to xxx_XXXX function" errors.  These are symbols that the .lib defines, so I
> know that this library is not getting linked in properly.

Maybe it is my mistake.  I thought the .lib only took care of dynamic
linking to dlls.  If it does c++ name mangling or so, c++ has a cloven
hoof and I don't touch it.  But I am confident g++ mangles names in a
way that is totally incompatible with MSVC.

> 2.  When I try to run the program, I get "undefined symbol: xxx_XXXX"
> errors, so I assume that Wine isn't doing it's job either.

If you got "undefined reference" errors linking, you don't _have_ a
program to run.

> I guess the most important thing for me is that I get confirmation that .lib
> files can be either statically linked in using gcc, or if there is another
> existing mechanism for this.  In MSVC I just add the .lib to the list of
> library files and make sure the path is there, and it works, so I don't
> understand much more about what I might need to do under Linux, especially
> with wine.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

AFAIK we don't have anything that eats .lib  files.  dll's are
indigestible enough.  If you have the source to the .lib's, you might
try running that through winemaker too.  If not, maybe the author of
winemaker will be along presently to help out.

Lawson
---oof---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.