PATCH: xterm support for wineconsole

Marcus Meissner marcus at jet.franken.de
Wed Nov 28 14:59:04 CST 2001

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 08:46:47PM +0100, eric pouech wrote:
> Marcus Meissner wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > This patch adds a XTERM backend to wineconsole.
> >
> > Some problems:
> > - In full screen text applications (like IDA), the cursor shows sometimes
> >   up in the wrong spot.
> > - Scrolling does not work yet (so winedbg doesn't really work).
> > - Uses config.h.
> I still have some questions...
>
> from a technical point of view, what didn't you use an ncurse (for example)
> lib to handle the TERM issues ? the old code you grabbed doesn't work
> correctly for all TERM configurations... rewriting everythind isn't the
> solution IMO

Basically I just want my application to run. I need full screen, PC font,
color, mouse support and speed.
xterm was the easiest method to get it in this case.

The old engine and its control codes does work basically fine if started
within an xterm. It only enabled 'complex' output if it could start xterm.
I did not have any screenbuffer/window distinction, true.

And I do not consider it final. I am also still unhappy with it, since
it does not work with the screenbuffer/window paradigm yet.  That it is
not ncurses is mostly due to the fact that I did not program ncurses yet.

I will try an ncurses port, but my time is rather limited :(

> from a more usage point of view, it seemed that TERM support for wineconsole
> was more intended for supporting an existing UNIX console (like when starting
> a command line tool and use the current TERM for interacting with it), which
> would mean in wineconsole case passing to wineconsole the handles of current
> TERM.

TERM support?

The old driver had knowledge of complex operations and switched on the xterm
in this case.

> furthermore, how to you plan to choose, when starting wineconsole, from
> the Win32 and the xterm backend ?

Dunno.

> in other words, I'm more in favor of :
> - Win32 backend for normal usage
> - reusing current UNIX console when run in TERM mode (and not xterm), and with
>   the support of text mode lib (like ncurses)

I'll think on it.

Please discard the patch in the meantime.

Ciao, Marcus