SystemParametersInfo / GetSystemMetrics

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 14:32:46 CDT 2001

--- Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.com> wrote:
> Andriy Palamarchuk <apa3a at yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > One more question while we are on it.
> > We are going to check whether X settings
> correspond to
> > our settings only on initialization and reload
> > requests and are not going to do the check in
> "Get"
> > logic, right?
>
> Yes; in fact I'd argue that we shouldn't care at all
> about X settings
> in most cases, except maybe to get initial values.
> For instance if the
> app remaps mouse buttons, or changes mouse threshold
> or whatever, you
> don't want to apply this to the whole X session IMO.
> If users want to
> reconfigure X behavior, they have to use the X
> configuration programs.

This is logical, but win apps not always behave
logically :-) I agree - in general changing system
configuration in end user application is BAD idea.

However if we completely separate our and X settings
we have danger that Wine settings will contradict with
X and  we won't be able to track all the consequences.
Another danger that an application will change the
Wine settings and user won't have a way to change them
back.
Plus, user not always knows where to change the X
setting.

I prefer:
- let application change settings if it wants to
- on Wine startup restore settings to X window values.

Now when Windows application screws something, user
can restart X session and everything will be restored.
If the user wants the changed behavior he can change X
settings or run his application again :-).
This approach has advantages of giving user some
freedom in system configuration and consistency X
window and Wine settings.

Andriy Palamarchuk