WM_[LR]BUTTON{DOWN,DBLCLK} in menus

Bobby Bingham uhmmmm at ameritech.net
Fri Sep 7 19:11:59 CDT 2001

I was writing a stupid app to help my friend learn to use menus in windows
apps.  It would call TrackPopupMenu on a WM_LBUTTONDOWN message.  After some
experimentation, I found that if I leftclicked in the client are, the menu
would appear, as it should.  But if, while the menu was still active, I
leftclicked in the window's nonclient area (titlebar), the menu would appear
elsewhere.  By clicking the menu receives a WM_LBUTTONDOWN message, and
determines that it should close the menu as it's not inside the menu, and it
doesn't remove the message.  This is normally fine, but if the click falls on
the nonclient area of a window, the message should not be passed through. I
believe this also applies to WM_LBUTTONDBLCLK, and the right button
equivalents.

Is there an easy way to determine what window the click would be passed
through to, so we can check if it'll be in the client area or not?

Bobby Bingham
--
Microsoft Windows: Made for the internet
The Internet: Made for UNIX