Solaris winsock support

Robert Lunnon bob at yarrabee.net.au
Sat Sep 8 08:55:18 CDT 2001

Trying Eudora 4.3 on Solaris solicits this error

err:winsock:WsControl Unable to open /proc filesystem to determine number of
network interfaces!

Looking about in the code WsControl grubs about in the /proc filesystem to
get the names of, and count the number of network interfaces. Since /Proc
only hosts processes on Solaris this constitutes a linux dependancy we don't
need. Studying the ifconfig source gives another possibility instead which
look like it may be more portable using ioctl SIOCGIFCONF on an arbitrary IP
socket

The return from this call is a structure containing the length of the reply
buffer, which seems to contains an array of ifreq structures (one for each
interface) which contains among other things the name of the interface. By
dividing the size of the buffer by the size of the returned objects we know
how many interfaces there are...

Questions
Anyone know if this is Is this workable ?
Is this workable on linux, (I ask because I don't have linux and don't know
linux ioctl implementation details)?