Quicktime 5.0.x / XVideo usage

Marcus Meissner marcus at jet.franken.de
Fri Sep 14 02:57:46 CDT 2001

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 08:36:13PM +0200, Matthias Dahl wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 02:26:55PM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
>
> > Please check if after the patch I sent Saturday, which restricts blting
> > to actually used rectangles and gives a rather good speed up to QuickTime
> > here.
>  I applied the patch but no change. The problem still occurs. Reminds me. Your
>  patch is mostly (or even entirely) for the Direct Draw stuff. But I have that
>  disabled here because the wine builtin support doesn't work too well for  me.

*sigh*

It works better with my patch, thats why I did it ;)

>  With the builtin support enabled, the screen goes black as soon as I fire  up
>  for example Quicktime. It looks like something draws  black  over  the  whole
>  screen because as soon as you cause X to redraw parts of the screen (by moving
>  a window for example), you can clean up everything and use the window  like a
>  eraser. :-) Also the performance is really poor. :(

Yes. DirectDraw was drawing over the whole screen for every frame displayed.

With my patch it does the full screen blt only once now, all others are
restricted to the area it actually changes.

>  Things work a bit better if I copy the necessary Direct stuff over to my fake
>  windows and let wine use native support. The  black  screen  and  such  won't
>  happen. Yet I get the best performance if I disable direct draw entirely. And
>  if I open a window during quicktime playback (page setup for example) so that
>  both the "time slider" and the "audio analyzer bars" stop updating, I get the
>  same great performance like with a real windows system. Strange...

No. If you use ddraw=n it will (I think) not use DDRAW, but fall back to use
DIB Sections.

>  Are you using native or builtin direct draw? Does it work on your system?  If
>  it does, I should start wondering what's wrong with my setup here I guess.

Builtin. The native version of DDRAW does not work to my knowledge.

Ciao, Marcus