fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Sep 27 17:00:57 CDT 2001

Uwe Bonnes wrote:
> I don't understand why pthread_kill_other_threads ist called when a programm
> creates a new process. With the pthread_kill_other_threads call, the starting
> process dies. ...
> What can happen between chdir() and execve() to trigger the
> pthread_kill_other_threads() call?

This is per the Posix standard;
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/exec.html says:
 "A call to any exec function from a process with more than one
 thread results in all threads being terminated and the new
 executable image being loaded and executed."

Maybe this is hurting you because LinuxThreads implements fork()
in a nonstandard way, i.e. maybe it only forks the current thread
rather than the whole process?

In any case, what you're trying to do is so common and important
that maybe it's a glibc bug.  Which glibc and kernel are you using?

- Dan