X11 fork available

Ove Kaaven ovek at arcticnet.no
Sat Apr 13 06:34:26 CDT 2002

Ever since the main Wine tree changed its license to the LGPL, a fork of
the tree under the old license had seemed necessary, and been planned.
This fork is now ready.

If you're a Wine contributor that don't care all that much about forking,
you do not need to leave the official LGPL-ed Wine tree to let the
X11-licensed fork live. All you have to do is to agree to license your
patches under the X11 license, so we are able to pick it up from
wine-patches and apply it to the X11 tree whenever possible. This will
make your contributions more widely used, so we encourage as many as
possible to do so. And if it's out of the question for you, then we
encourage you to tell us that, so that we know that we can never apply
your patches.

The fork's name was decided after a lot of brainstorming by Eric and me,
when we found a name which we both liked... ReWind. It can stand for
"Re-engineering Windows", or something like "Rewind to the old Windows
days".

The fork is currently hosted on SourceForge. The homepage is thus
http://rewind.sourceforge.net/ for now. It's not a very fancy page, but
all the necessary CVS and mailing list information is there. Go there if
you're interested in contributing actively to ReWind. Patches known to
come from X11-friendly contributors are already applied to the CVS, but
many more patches are waiting for the authors to declare a stance.

The CVS repository that ReWind is based on is the WineHQ repository,
cleansed of all post-LGPL commits (except the Before-LGPL tag), so all the
CVS history of the pre-LGPL Wine is present in the ReWind CVS repository.
This ensures that no history is lost in the event that the X11 fork
prevails over the LGPL fork.

Your help to achieve this is welcome.

Followups to this post should preferably go to wine-license.

Thanks for your attention.