Directory reorganization

Joshua Thielen thielen at netprince.net
Sat Apr 13 08:35:03 CDT 2002

Hello everybody,

I have an idea for reorganizing some of the directories in wine. I hope
I'm not stating an obvious idea here, but I would like to group
everything into the following first level directories:

dlls
documentation
include
programs
server
tools

I'm not sure, but maybe the following directories should also be included:

libtest
miscemu
ole

The point is to keep all related source files together with their dll
directory. This way, if a new hacker is hunting for a bug, it is clear
where they should begin to look. Also, it is easier to focus on the code
for one dll this way.

Here is where I would move things:
controls   --> dlls/user/controls
files       --> dlls/ntdll/files
graphics   --> dlls/gdi/graphics
if1632    --> dlls/ntdll/if1632
library    --> dlls (and possibly rename to wine?)
loader     --> dlls/ntdll/loader
memory --> dlls/ntdll/memory
msdos     --> dlls/ntdll/msdos
relay32   --> dlls/ntdll/relay32
scheduler --> dlls/ntdll/scheduler
win32      --> dlls/ntdll/win32
windows  --> dlls/user/windows

These are the directories I'm not sure about:
miscemu --> programs (possibly rename to wine?)
ole           -->  dlls/ntdll/ole
(ole is also used by library, maybe it should go to dlls/library?)

tsx11                -->  dlls/tsx11 (or maybe we should have a
'drivers' top-level directory?)
graphics/tsx11 --> dlls/tsx11/graphics
windows/tsx11 --> dlls/tsx11/windows
unicode            -->  dlls/unicode