regapi with global registry

Raul Dias chaos at swi.com.br
Mon Apr 22 12:45:49 CDT 2002

Hi,

I have a global windows fake tree, which every user in the
group "wine" can access.

However I got a problem dealing with new applications installed.

When a user (any user, even root) installs an application, the
registry entries goes to $HOME/.wine/*.reg .

This also means that other users will not be able to use
it because of the missing registry entries.

I use the regSet.sh, regFixer.pl and regRestorer.pl to generete
a diff .reg file with the changed registries.

When a user (even root) uses regapi to add this values:
regapi setValue < file.reg

The data goes to the user's registry and not to the
global registry (even if the user has access to it).

Is there a way to tell wine/regapi (or regedit) to add the
new values to the global registry?

If not, the only solutions I can think of is:

1 - make every user run the regapi command.

2 - * create a new user (or to use a WINEPREFIX var),
    * change its config to save the whole
      registry (which would make the global config
      save under the user's dir).
    * copy the resulting registry to the global configuration
      (/etc/wine.*reg)

If it isn't really possible to write to the global
wine registry using standard wine tools this is really
a drawback in wine which would be needed for a wine
0.9 or 1.0 release.  That would allow multi-user
wine environments to be easier stablished.

Regards,
Raul Dias