Porting WineLib on PPC, using Bochs for binaries

KandY yann.kalemkarian at thales-avionics.com
Wed Apr 24 10:31:04 CDT 2002

Hi everybody,

I'm currently very interested by porting some of the Wine tech.on PPC.
I've been looking for people interested in this kind of painful duty but
I didn't see anybody carrying this type of idea anywhere on the Web.
I've already mailed some people on that subject and someone told me some
people were trying to port WineLib on Sparc (Ulrich Weigand for
instance...). Does anybody of you have more information on that ? Did
somebody did that somewhere on the globe?

Besides that, to achieve my binary compatibility, I was looking at the
Bochs emulation. Of course, I'm currently affected by some messages on
the web saying the performances are not that great. I have nothing
against emulation of machines but I only want to know of it is possible
to port the Bochs on my Linux PPC and what performances can I expect
(aren't there any benches to help me make my decision ?). Someone said
that with a PIII 933, one can reach 3.5MIPS. Who can tell me success
stories on that before I start working ?

Yann K.