SafeDisc FAQs

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at skynet.be
Mon Apr 29 16:20:18 CDT 2002

> I don't think he is. Reverse engineering for the purpose of enabling
> interoperability is permitted, and he doesn't know, and therefore
> doesn't (and can't) disclose, how to circumvent the copy protection.
>
> Granted, somebody could take that information and use it to figure out
> how to make copies of SafeDisc protected software. The same is true of
> debuggers, disassemblers, or In Circuit Emulators, which are all
> legitimate engineering tools. That's just a symptom of the DMCA's
> biggest problem, which is that it criminalizes perfectly legitimate
> activities.

The information that I disclosed (which is all the information that I have)
wouldn't even help someone trying to make copies of SafeDisc protected games.
I implemented a few methods of debugger detection. Some others, already
implemented, are used by SafeDisc. Even after weeks of work, I haven't been
able to run the executable in winedbg!

Laurent Pinchart