default windows version

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Mon Apr 29 17:19:12 CDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 07:07:13PM -0300, rootzz at ig.com.br wrote:
> Em 29 Apr 2002, andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de escreveu:
>
> >On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 04:58:16PM -0300, Insyde wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I had a problem loading a second program under wine.
> >> I called the first program with:
> >> wine --winver win2000 pgm1
> >> I input a password and it wirtes a data file, unloads itself
> >> and loads a second program. But there was an error every
> >> time the second program was to start that send me to the
> >> debug screen.
> >> So I found misc/version.c line 196 that the default value to
> >> wine load a program was WIN31, so I changed it to NT2K.
> >>
> >> Is there any problem doing this? If not, why is the default still
> >> WIN31?
> >No, it's *not*.
> >
> >If you examine the code more closely, then you'll notice that
> >defaultWinVersion only gets used in case versionForced is TRUE,
> >which is only the case once defaultWinVersion gets set to an actually
> >specified value.
> >
> >I know, the code is sort of confusing if you don't examine it closely,
> >so feel free to comment on how to improve the situation with regards
> >to defaultWinVersion initialization (I'd like to not initialize it at all,
> >since it isn't being used unless there's a user setting,
> >but that's not very clean of course ;-)
>
> So it's only used if I force a version? I forced a version as:
> wine --winver win2000 pgm1
> when pgm1 stops and start pgm2 which version is used?
The one that Wine figures out for the new program.

> what is the default version though?
There's no such thing as a default version ;-)
Wine figures it out from the DLLs the program uses if no version is forced.

Hmm, come to think of it:
Unless we actually pass all wine cmdline parameters (--winver, --managed etc.)
on to the wine child process (not sure about that right now, I think we do),
the new process won't use the same forced winver value as the
parent process uses.
Is this a problem ? Should this info be passed to the wineserver to globalize
it ?

Oh, BTW: I'll rename defaultWinVersion to cmdlineWinVersion.
Much better name.

Tel. +49 7159 800604                http://home.arcor.de/andi.mohr/