Bugzilla: A Call to Arms

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 30 11:08:49 CDT 2002

--- Tony Lambregts <tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net>
wrote:
> Andriy Palamarchuk wrote:
[... skipped ...]
> >Developers, please let me know your areas of
> >expertese.
> >I can overview Wine applications.
> >
> Let me see if I have this right  you want an
> inventory of who has what
> area of experise right. For example  if a bug report
> seems to point to a
> problem with sockets you could in theory assign it
> to Martin Wick, or if
> the problem was with copy protection It could be
> assigned to Laurent
> Pinchart.  Of course  that assumes that both of them
> are ok with this.

Of course, the responsibility is voluntary (as the
whole project BTW :-).

Suggested list (so far):
* Guy L. Albertelli - GUI
* Alexandre Julliard - wineserver, kernel
* Marcus Meissner - printing
* Andreas Mohr - documentation
* Andriy Palamarchuk - winelib applications under
"programs" directory (agreed).
* Dimitrie O. Paun - GUI
* Laurent Pinchart - copy protection
* Eric Pouech - sound
* Hidenori TAKESHIMA - quartz, DirectShow (is the
scope too narrow?)
* Dmitry Timoshkov - internationalization, Unicode,
keyboard i/o
* Martin Wick - sockets
Do we need following directions, who are good owners:
* DOS support
* common controls
* command-line handling
* wine tools

This list is *very* subjective. I went through the
last month archives of wine-patches. Please, let me
know if you agree or not, know other better owner for
the subsystem, want to suggest new subsystem, any
other comments are welcome.

> What exactly do you mean by overview applications?
> I'm guessing you mean
> the wine lib applications currently under /programs
> right?

Correct, see above

> >2) more formally define process of bugs handling
> and
> >use this process.

[... skipped ...]

> >I see that Tony Lambregts, Michael Cardenas, others
> do
> >a great work with the Bugzilla database.
> >I'm also going to  contribute some time for this.
> >

> Think if we can get a few more people to to help
> with this it would be
> better

Completely agree with you. This is why I invited the
companies testers for this work ;-) I'm sure we'll get
more volunteers from Wine users as soon as we will be
more responsive in Bugzilla.
Anyway, the first priority is to start to actually
move bugs throgh their lifecycle to the RESOLVED
status and now the bottleneck is on status NEW.

> >3) Prioritize bugs. This is, probably, part of (2).
> >Some bugs, while relatively easy to fix provide
> very
> >big value for the end user. Often developers do not
> >choose such issues to work on, exactly because
> these
> >issues do not present challenge to them.
> >BTW, I do not see a field "Priority" in the bugs
> >entries.
> >

> The Severity field is for this  and yes we should
> use it.

Not exactly. "Severity" is an importance for the end
user - e.g. crash is the highest level of severity.
"Priority" is an importance of the issue for us.
E.g. crash of an application due to Wine not
supporting  vxd is severity "Critical" for the user,
but priority is "Minor" for the Wine developers
because we are not going to support vxd anyways.

[... skipped ...]
> If  there are no objections can we change the
> official documentation to
> say that bugzilla is the place to report bugs. I
> noticed that when the
> wineinstall script had a bug in it that it told the
> users to report it
> to wine-devel  when it should point them to
> bugzilla.  One other comment
> about this is that bugzilla's address is
> http://wine.codeweavers.com/bugs/ and I think it
> scares people away from
> using it.  I have nothing against CodeWeavers but I
> think If bugzilla's
> address was http://www.winehq.com/bugzilla users
> would be certain it is
> the place for wine bugs

Agree. Now enter bugs to bugzilla for these changes
;-)

Andriy