DTR/DSR vs RTS/CTS - followup

lists at vmn.com.br lists at vmn.com.br
Thu Aug 1 15:32:49 CDT 2002

Hello All,

Last week I sent an email about a problem with a serial printer that
used DTS/DTR hardware flow control.
I later understood that DTS/DTR was not supported in linux , and
therefore not in wine. Linux [and wine] support RTS/CTS hardware flow control.

Since the protocols are similar, an ideia that I received was to construct a
cable that made the computer think it was using RTS/CTS and the printer think it
was using DTR/DTS.

Today, I received the cable from the printer manufacturer and the initial tests
with wine/linux worked.

****************************
RTS - Ready To Send
CTS - Clear To Send

DTR - Data Terminal Ready
DSR - Data Set Ready

****************************
Here is a snippet of mytestapp --debugmsg +comm

trace:comm:COMM_Init COM1 = /dev/ttyS0
trace:comm:COMM_Init LPT1 = /dev/lp0
trace:comm:COMM_Init COM2 = /dev/ttyS1
trace:comm:COMM_Init COM3 = /dev/ttyS2
trace:comm:COMM_Init COM4 = /dev/modem
trace:comm:BuildCommDCBAndTimeoutsA (COM2:9600,N,8,1,0x4002af48,(nil))
trace:comm:COMM_BuildOldCommDCB (COM2:9600,N,8,1), ptr 0x4002af48
trace:comm:COMM_BuildOldCommDCB baudrate (9600)
trace:comm:COMM_BuildOldCommDCB parity (N)
trace:comm:COMM_BuildOldCommDCB charsize (8)
trace:comm:COMM_BuildOldCommDCB stopbits (1)
trace:comm:SetCommState handle 52, ptr 0x4002af48
trace:comm:SetCommState bytesize 8 baudrate 9600 fParity 0 Parity 0 stopbits 1
trace:comm:SetCommState ~IXON ~IXOFF
trace:comm:SetCommState CRTSCTS
trace:comm:SetCommMask handle 52, mask 10

Thanks every one from wine-devel for all the prompt answers I received.

Miguel Feitosa