Isn't 'make depend' optional?

Bang Jun-Young junyoung at mogua.com
Mon Aug 5 09:22:54 CDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 03:21:47PM +0200, Joerg Mayer wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 10:05:48PM +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
> > Why do I have to do 'make depend' when I can build Wine without it?
> > Only because it's said so there? Sounds unreasonable to me.
>
> No, not because it is said there. Definitely not because it is said
> there. The current build process requires that this is done in some
> cases.

In what cases?

> Because nobody wanted to document those cases, the message
> was put at the end of configure. I had problems compiling wine without
> make depend from time to time 6 or more years ago, so your problem is
> in no way new. It may be new for you, but not for wine.

I have been able to build Wine without 'make depend' for the past 8
months (or longer, probably). I couldn't test with releases earlier
than 20011226 when NetBSD support was available for the first time.
If you want, I can do the same test with earlier releases on Linux.

I really wonder how the same problem has come and gone from time to
time. Who broke it and who fixed it?

> And because of this problem, you should do make depend. Or not, but
> please don't complain in that case. Your agrument seems to go a bit
> like that: "I've been speeding for years but never got a ticket. Why
> should I get one now?"

I think you never understand what the purpose of 'make depend' is.
If you are only interested in getting binaries via source build,
you should be able to do it without a time-spendng process that adds
a large amount of explicit dependency to Makefiles.

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <junyoung at mogua.com>