Isn't 'make depend' optional?

Tony Lambregts tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net
Mon Aug 5 12:10:17 CDT 2002

Bang Jun-Young wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 04:49:21PM +0200, Joerg Mayer wrote:
>

>>On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 11:22:54PM +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
>>

>>>In what cases?
>>>

>>I don't know.
>>

>>>I think you never understand what the purpose of 'make depend' is.
>>>

>>You may be right here :-) I think make depend builds for each source file
>>a list of all other files it includes (recursively). So if one of theses
>>files has changed, an existing object file get rebuild.
>>So if something in the include or #define structure (e.g. config.h)
>>changes, you need to do a new make depend.
>>

>If none of files in the source directories is supposed to change,
>e.g. making a binary package from sources, 'make depend' is completely
>unnecessary,
>

>>That's my understanding of what make depend is good for.
>>

>I intepret "be good for" to "be useful for", not "be required for."
>
>Jun-Young

In this case required for would be true.  Running make depend ensures
that all dependencys are accounted for and in most cases they do not
change from one snapshot to the next., but that is not guarnteed.  It
seems to me there have been quite a few changes that would affect
dependencys since the last snapshot.  What you are saying is that you
don't "_have_to_" run make depend each time you compile wine, which is
true. just as you dont "_have _to_ " run ./configure each time wine
changes.   There are times when you do and running make depend does not
take that long and it makes sure that everything is in the right place.

If you realy want to avoid it you can work around it as you have,  or
you can run make depend, your choice I suppose.

Tony Lambregts