Isn't 'make depend' optional?

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 5 15:00:18 CDT 2002

--- Tony Lambregts <tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net>
wrote:
[skipped]
> In this case required for would be true.  Running
> make depend ensures
> that all dependencys are accounted for and in most
> cases they do not
> change from one snapshot to the next., but that is
> not guarnteed.  It
> seems to me there have been quite a few changes that
> would affect
> dependencys since the last snapshot.  What you are
> saying is that you
> don't "_have_to_" run make depend each time you
> compile wine, which is
> true. just as you dont "_have _to_ " run ./configure
> each time wine
> changes.   There are times when you do and running
> make depend does not
> take that long and it makes sure that everything is
> in the right place.
>
> If you realy want to avoid it you can work around it
> as you have,  or
> you can run make depend, your choice I suppose.

I think Bang describes a little different situation -
when he wants to build Wine from a clean source tree.

Assuming the purpose of "make depend" is to track
dependencies of changes it should not be required to
call it on clean source as there is no generated files
yet. One needs to use "make depend" on an updated
source tree in order to use results of previous
builds.

As I understand one could even use "make clean &&
make" instead of "make depend" on updated source tree.

Andriy