Very basic question concerning compiling WINE

Tony Lambregts tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net
Fri Aug 9 20:22:05 CDT 2002

Steven Rubenstein wrote:

> *** I hope this isn't appropriate, in that I posted this same question
> to wine-user at winehq.com.  I'm still not sure who reads what.  ***
>
> I am an intermediate Linux user. I dual boot into Redhat 7.3 and
> Windows ME. It would be nice to be able to run the stuff in Windows
> from Linux (for 2 reasons: to avoid booting and rebooting, and trying
> to get away from Windows altogether someday), so I am now learning WINE.
>
> I see a bunch of postings on this list about compiling. Question:
> Would I expect to compile, as opposed to just running the WINE
> configuration that came with Redhat 7.3? (Probably a pretty broad
> question, but if anyone has a word to say, I'm all ears.)

One reason would be that the wine that came with your distribution is
out of date (Yes by a couple of months) Development on wine is very
active but at this point is still alpha, and each release has more
features and is (supposed to be) more stable.  A bug report relating to
a release of wine that is more then a month old is usually not very
usefull to developers. Also the only way a patch to fix a bug can be
used is if you compile from source. Finally the best  reason for
compiling is that you get a wine that is custom built for your machine.

Tony Lambregts