ListView Issues

Guy L. Albertelli galberte at neo.lrun.com
Wed Aug 14 17:20:34 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Whine" <stevewhine2002 at yahoo.co.uk>
To: <wine-devel at winehq.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 10:14 AM
Subject: ListView Issues

> Hi,
>
> I've just started looking into getting a project of
> wine running on Linux via Wine, and I'm very impressed
> so far! However, there are a few (mostly minor)
> problems with the ListView control:
>
> - When using icons bigger than the sizes returned by
> SystemParametersInfo(SPI_GETICONMETRICS), the text for
> the items is not displayed correctly at the bottom of
> the icon.
>
> - When running a program created by C++ Builder 5,
> clicking on an item in the listview causes an access
> violation in C++ Builder's VCL library code - it is
> obviously getting passed an unexpected value.
>
> - The amount of text displayed is often far less than
> is displayed in Windows, making the listbox difficult
> to use.
>
> I have been looking into the ListView code and have
> hacked a fix for the first and third problem, but I am
> having a little difficulty understanding the code -
> the LISTVIEW_INFO struct has both an
> nItemWidth/nItemHeight pair describing the
> width/height of each item, and an iconSpacing SIZE
> struct that seems to do the same. What is the
> difference in these, where should one be used and
> where should the other be used?
>
> Is anyone actively maintaining the listview code, or
> should I just carry on hacking until I'm happy with
> it, and post the changes here? I have created a small
> test program to demonstrate these problems which I can
> post if anyone is interested.
>
> I must say it's very nice to be able to wade into the
> code to fix these problems myself rather than waiting
> for someone else (not) to do it!

Yes, Listview is very confusing. I am working on bug #676 which deals with
listview issues in the LVS_ICON style. The display issues are also tied up
with the LVM_GETITEMRECT (of all types). It also is tied up with
inconsistant computation of the actual size of the text area. There is a
prototype patch attached to bug #676. It will not be the final patch but it
is a start.

Guy