right way to compile wine with a "buildroot" DESTDIR is missing

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Wed Aug 14 19:36:47 CDT 2002

Le mer 14/08/2002 à 18:47, Raul Dias a écrit :
> Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.com> wrote:
> >Raul Dias <chaos at swi.com.br> writes:
> >
> >> After building I have to use an ugly make install
> >> in orther to install it into another dir that is different
> >> from the one.
> >
> >What's so ugly about that make install?  Could you show us the
> >commands you are using?
>
> make 	\
>   prefix=%{buildroot}%{_prefix} \
>   bindir=%{buildroot}%{_bindir}	\
>   libdir=%{buildroot}%{_libdir} \
>   mandir=%{buildroot}%{_mandir} \
>   dlldir=%{buildroot}%{_libdir}/%{name} \
>   includedir=%{buildroot}/%{_includedir}/%{name} \
>   datadir=%{buildroot}/%{_datadir} \
>   LDCONFIG=/bin/true \
>   install
>
> just notice that I build as a non-root user.
> %{...} are macros expanded to path names.

The paths for prefix, bindir, libdir, mandir and dlldir don't have a
slash between the $(buildroot) and %(_somethingelse) parts, while the
includedir and datadir do.
Could you check which one is the right way to go? (Or if it doesn't
change anything?)

Else, from an old (20020614) install log that I had laying around, you
seem to have covered all the necessary directories. In addition to what
I already said, you can also define exec_prefix (default is same thing
as prefix), infodir ($(prefix)/info) and sysconfdir ($(prefix)/etc).

Question regarding the installation process: in the Makefiles, all the
directories (except prefix) are defined wrt prefix. Shouldn't setting
prefix at installation time should be enough then?

Answer: yes, setting only prefix= at installation time works (at least
with the 20020614 source I had), and all the other directories under it
are created correctly. Maybe something changed since then in the
installation process.

Vincent