New user/developer has questions ...

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 16 10:04:35 CDT 2002

Hi Scott,
  welcome to the party :-)

--- Crispen Scott <C.Scott at astronautics.com> wrote:
> I have just RPMed wine-20020512-1.i386.rpm and
> attempted to run several WIN
> programs (to wit: sol.exe and a proprietary
> package).
> Both fail.  I am including the entire run/error
> message from my attempt to run
> sol.exe below.  Being new to WINE, I have no idea
> where
> to begin to find the problem.  I have annotated the
> error message with notes.
> All notes are separated by a
>
> <NOTE - TEXT> then a CR and follows the line(s) that
> the NOTE applies to.
>
> [root at localhost root]# wine
> /mnt/windows/windows/system32/sol.exe
> <NOTE - This is the command line entry >
>
> err:reg:_convert_win95_registry_to_wine_format
> unable to load native win95
> registry file C:\WINDOWS\system.dat: unknown
> signature.
> err:reg:_convert_win95_registry_to_wine_format
> Unable to load native win95
> registry file C:\WINDOWS\system.dat.
> err:reg:_convert_win95_registry_to_wine_format
> Please report to
> a.mohr at mailto.de.
> err:reg:_convert_win95_registry_to_wine_format Make
> a backup of the file, run
> a good reg cleaner program and try again!
> <NOTE - The SYSTEM.DAT file located in the windows
> SUBDIR was exported from
> regedit.exe.  This is from a WIN2K OS >

Wine can't load the registry. Don't know what exactly
the problem is.
To import registry to Wine you can first export it
from Windows to text format:
regedit /e all.reg

and then load in Wine with using Wine or Windows
regedit, as:
regedit all.reg

> fixme:win32:PE_CreateModule Security directory
> ignored
> <NOTE - I assume this is a FIXME in the SRC>
>
> err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file
> "/mnt/windows/windows/Fonts/desktop.ini" err = 55
> <NOTE - This file exists in the proper location so
> what is the error?>
>
> err:font:AddFontFileToList Already loaded font
> L"Garamond" L"Bold"
> err:font:AddFontFileToList Already loaded font
> L"Garamond" L"Italic"
> err:font:AddFontFileToList Already loaded font
> L"Garamond" L"Regular"
>
> err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file
> "/mnt/windows/windows/Fonts/modern.fon" err = 2
> err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file
> "/mnt/windows/windows/Fonts/mtsorts.ttf" err = 2
> err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file
> "/mnt/windows/windows/Fonts/roman.fon" err = 2
> err:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file
> "/mnt/windows/windows/Fonts/script.fon" err = 2
> <NOTE - These files exist so why are they able to be
> loaded?>
>
> X Error of failed request:  XF86DGANoDirectVideoMode
>   Major opcode of failed request:  136 (XFree86-DGA)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  22
> (XDGAOpenFramebuffer)
>   Serial number of failed request:  181
> <NOTE - What does this indicate?>

Wine can have problems with your video card driver.
Try to disable DGA in your ~/.wine/config file.

> I am trying to come up to speed on the use of WINE
> but, as everyone knows,
>  the documentation is a little light
> as is the commenting of the source code.  If someone
> could please head me in
> the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you want to participate in Wine development or just
 help the project you should install it from source.
Usually it is not difficult. Any problems with
installation from sources are especially quickly
resolved by developers as we are responsible for this,
but binary distributions are done by third-party
developers.
I advise you to start using CVS from very beginning.
Very basic instructions how to do that can be found
here:
http://www.winehq.com/development/index.php?devstart

Do not use Windows dlls, Windows registry (fake
windows directory setup). Add them only when you know
what you are doing.

> Once I have gained some additional expertise in WINE
> I will use my 15+ years
> of Windows development experience and knowledge
> to try and resolve some of the issues and bugs that
> are reported.  This may
> take me several more weeks.

Glad to have you here!
You'll find application of your experience :-)

> BTW: I downloaded the source for 20020804 and, after
> fixing several build
> related problems (incorrect build order, root
> objections, & eliminating
> programs with build problems I couldn't readily
> resolve, i.e. widl), I had
> even worse problems with trying to get that version
> of wine to run. That is
> why I reverted to the latest RPM version.   Some of
> the problems with the
> 20020804 build might be resolved after I see the
> answers to the problems I
> stated above.

??!
Hmm, that's strange. Usually it works without a
hiccup. I'm interested to know more about problems
with installation from sources. What OS/distribution
do you use?

Remember to remove all the traces of old wine
packages.
Some instructions how to do that can be found here:
http://www.winehq.org/fom-meta/cache/297.html

It is worth to read the whole thing:
http://www.winehq.org/fom-meta/cache/19.html

Wine official docs: