Add BiDi infrastructure

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Mon Aug 19 11:25:10 CDT 2002

Shachar Shemesh <wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il> writes:

>    3. Things are further complicated by the fact that it has no out of
>       bounds way of specifying what the base direction is (and, MS being
>       MS, this means that a base direction of LTR is chosen, and not
>       according to the Unicode algorithm).

Isn't that what the GCPCLASS_PREBOUNDLTR etc. flags are about? Or is
this something different?

> Is fribidi going to support all the functionality we are likely to
> need? Yes, I believe it will. That is why I tried to stress the amount
> of shortcutting this library is going to get us. Implementing the
> various unicode algorithms is a pain, and one to be avoided. If, at
> some stage in the future, it turns out that some programs really do
> need classes from GetCharacterPlacement, well, we'll have this
> discussion again.

That's not acceptable. It's perfectly OK to say that we won't
implement some things until we find something that needs them, but
it's not OK to pick a design that will prevent us from implementing
them once they are needed (and they *will* become needed someday).

> Wouldn't that create strange dependancies between modules? Who
> currently "owns" the unicode tables?

The Unicode tables are part of libwine_unicode, so that they can be
shared between all the modules that need them. So that's not a
problem.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com