RFC: 'test' bugzilla keyword

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Aug 23 19:08:48 CDT 2002

Hi,

I think that conformance test failures should generally be easier to
analyze and fix than general application failures. Thus I think we may
get a community of contributers interested in specifically tracking
these issues to fix them, and that some in this community may not
otherwise be interested in tackling the complex diagnosis of general
application failures. In other words, if we make it easy to track
conformance test issues in Bugzilla, we may get new contributers (sure I
realize it's not a magic bullet either). Thus I propose to add a 'test'
keyword to make it easy to find such issues in bugzilla for people
specifically interested in conformance tests.

This keyword would apply to reports concerning a conformance/regression
test that:
 * fails to pass on Windows
 * fails to pass on Wine
 * fails to pass on specific architectures (e.g. FreeBSD, Solaris, etc.)

Note that this would be different from the regression keyword which only
applies to reports describing something that used to work and no longer
works. Obviously, if a conformance test used to pass in Wine but no
longer does, then both keywords would apply to the report.

So for instance, if one finds that a conformance test passes on Win98
but not on NT4, then one would create a bug report with the keyword
'test' and OS 'Windows NT'. If a conformance test fails to pass on
Solaris systems, then the report would have the 'test' keyword and the
OS would be 'Solaris'.

Comments / Objections / Better names for the keyword?

                            -- from some indian guy